Re: Intel's encryption in Eaglelake or should we trust hardware encryption?

Hi Clemens,

(I am no cryptographer, so take my comments with that fact in mind)

On Thursday 10 January 2008 14:45:40 Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:
> about
>embedding hardware encryption within the hard disk controller on the
>north bridge.
[...]
>However, it got me thinking whether I trust these solution. I
>inherently feel more secure when using software I wrote and compiled
>myself than using hardware.

This is the same for other people, so the obvious way to go would be to make
the use of these variants configurable by the user.

I don't really know how much this Intel mechanism is related to eg. IBM's TPM
modules capabilities, but one should take care that encrypted volumes are not
bound in a way to hardware specifics so that you're left with unusable data
on hardware replacement, as a side thought.

>What I'm more worried about is intentionally backdoored crypto
>hardware.

Which would be eg. writing keys to another place where it could be extracted
later. It's hard for the community to verify hardware, in contrast to
software.

>The same task for backdooring CPUs is almost impossible.

But someone going after you could also tamper your kernel/initrd, including
the LUKS part, to also store the unlocked key somewhere on disk where it
could be extracted later. (I recently installed everything but /boot
encrypted on my notebook, that's why it came to my mind. Of course, keylogger
hardware is another point.)

The difference would be the number of users using a potentially backdoored
hardware vs. being a single user which needs to be taken care of with eg.
keylogger or tampered kernel.

>I hope the community can produce good counter arguments to my
>reasoning above. I hope so because, otherwise I should start to push
>for performance of dm-crypt even without hardware assistance.

Well, I didn't provide counter arguments, so sorry for that. On the other
hand, pushing the performance is never bad, if you can afford the time...

Yours, Uwe