Re: Re: problems to mount softraid5

On Sat, Jan 12, 2008 at 08:27:32PM +0000, Da Powah wrote:

> hi Arno,
>
> please have a look to my earlier post, because it is marked as spam and you
> might not read it.

I saw it.

> Arno Wagner <wagner@...> writes:
>
> > Unlikely as this sounds, I think you either changed the passphrase or
> > your stored passphrase got corrupted. In both cases there is no
> > possible cure than recovering the original passphrase somehow. After
> > all, this is the whole point of the encryption.
> >
> > Arno
>
> Lets assume my keyfile is ok (i verified it against a backup).
> Lets assume, too, the key should unlock the masterkey, because I never played
> with luksDelKey / luksAddKey.
>
> 2 last option may have occured:
> #1 a data corruption

That would need to be corruption exactly in the key, but nowere
else. If it is on disk correct once, it does not net corrupted
on disk. Disk ECC is so that undetected errors do not happen
in practice. The only way tho get bit-errors is when copying
from one disk to another. Did you do that? If not, your LUKS
superblock is very likely uncorrupted.

> #2 a setup problem, because i played a little and i am always doing the same
> nasty failures while trying to uncrypt with Linux LiveCDs. Maybe some Bios
> settings harm the setup, too.

BIOS should have no influence at all. The liveCD may be the key.
So you say when creating a LUKS partition with your normal system
and then try to access with a lifeCD, you get the same error?

> #1 may it be not, because the mdstat tells me everything is working
> an luksDump gives me correct values.

> Then #2 is the last possible choice.
> Please take a look at my kernel module versions (in my earlier post). Maybe
> there are some hints hidden.

Sorry, I do not follow the details of the kernel module development.

> I am only worrying a bit, because i can encrypt and decrypt a
> logical volume on my hda system disk. So the setup seems to be ok
> for newly created devices on non-raids.

Did you, at any time change the kernel version? If so,
mayne get the sources for the version you used originally,
compile your own kernel and see whether this works.
There may indeed be a bug in some versions of a
kernel hash or cipher module.

> thanks for brainstorming with me.

No problem.

Arno