Re: Re: FW: Areca controller problem with Linux XFS over DM-CRYPT

someone wrote:
> I tried 2.6.24-rc4 with your patch, still no good...
>
>  ~ # mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/raid1
>  ~ # dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/raid1/tempfile
> 3568802188+0 records in
> 3568802188+0 records out
> 1827226720256 bytes (1.8 TB) copied, 29280.8 s, 62.4 MB/s

so to summarize: command above works for direct mapping but
not through dm-crypt and produces scsi abort error on Areca, right ?

> I can do that just fine directly, so I'm relatively sure that all the hardware
> works correctly and isn't the problem.
>
> I also tried disabling write caching, limiting the drives to SATA150,
> disabling TCQ, settings write-through instead of write-back, no difference. No
> matter what I try I end up with the same results.

Well, I am pretty sure that patch solves one hw limiting issue, so there is probably
something left for big arrays or for some specific configuration.

If you want to help, please send me (not to list) tar output of lvmdump command
(when cryptsetup active; lvmdump is part of lvm2 package).

Also, I forgot that there are some patches not yet in upstream, specifically
http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/agk/patches/2.6/editing/dm-merge-max_hw_sector.patch
and maybe
http://www2.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/agk/patches/2.6/editing/dm-crypt-fix-write-endio.patch
(all in latest -mm tree)

Also is there the same problem when running on some small raid array (e.g. 3x500G in RAID5) on
on the same hw ?

(Please, if you can, reply directly to my mail too, or alternatively report this problem through bugzilla,
thanks.)

Milan
--
mbroz@xxxxxxxxxx