Re: Fighting Keyloggers

On Thursday 30 August 2007 05:25:11 Roscoe wrote:
> I quite like gpggrid's approach to defeating key loggers:
> http://tinfoilhat.shmoo.com/source/gpggrid.c
> [I'd like it more if it were done so I didn't have to hit 3 keys to
> enter 1 character.]

Sigh. IMHO, these puzzle-like passphrase entry procedures are no perfect
solution either. At least not if you have the possibility to log (or see)
console output or device traffic.

There once was a nice-looking solution in which you were required to arrange
several distorted puzzle fragments - and the way how you did it, became your
passphrase. Wonderful, but not so well if three meters away from you somebody
recording the compromising radiation emitted by your monitor.

On the other hand, I think _something_ should be done. It's no good idea to
lock the door but leave the windows open just beacuse some people could break
them in anyway.