Re: Design flaw in LUKS

I don't know about the "single point of failure" part when there is
possibility to avoid the problem (backups and keeping your LUKS header a
RAID). However I do agree that this issue is overlooked in the general
documentation.

Well, backups are not always an option, especially during daytime when your
system is busy with other things (as I wrote in the previous post).
The only time
I ever seen backups during the day was an SAP-cluster with 9 nodes
that had a huge
tape-robot connected to it, but I doubt that small companies can afford those
solutions :-)

I don't consider the dd option to be a safe way. There is no way to
determine that
the output from dd is really the luks-header, is there? You can check
if the drive
is a luks-drive but you can't verify that the data you get from dd is
a correct one.

Of course, you can argue that since the header is in that particular
place it must
be the header, but I think it's too much of a hacker-solution then a
real solution
for a serious production environment. And after reading the mailing
list there seems
that the problem with a damanged header isn't an uncommon event.

Having the header with just one copy on the disk is a very high risk
solution. If you look
at for instance Sun's raid/mirror solutions you can save like 10
backups of the important
metadata for "just in case".

/Paul T