Re: Design flaw in LUKS

On Sat, Aug 05, 2006 at 06:30:43PM +0200, Absolon wrote:
> >I don't know about the "single point of failure" part when there is
> >possibility to avoid the problem (backups and keeping your LUKS header a
> >RAID). However I do agree that this issue is overlooked in the general
> >documentation.
[...]

> I don't consider the dd option to be a safe way. There is no way to
> determine that the output from dd is really the luks-header, is
> there? You can check if the drive is a luks-drive but you can't
> verify that the data you get from dd is a correct one.

That is only a problem if you use dd wrongly. Any experienced
UNIX admin should not be troubled by this.

> Of course, you can argue that since the header is in that particular
> place it must be the header, but I think it's too much of a
> hacker-solution then a real solution for a serious production
> environment.

You think so? Well, I don't. It is typical Unix solution.  It works
well, provided you know what you are doing. Come to think of it you
need to know what you are doing anyways for reliable operation. And
of course this would be scripted as part of the backup, which makes it
even more reliable.

> And after reading the mailing list there seems that the
> problem with a damanged header isn't an uncommon event.

> Having the header with just one copy on the disk is a very high risk
> solution. If you look at for instance Sun's raid/mirror solutions
> you can save like 10 backups of the important metadata for "just in
> case".

Well, I think having backups of the metadata is a good idea.
On the other hand Linux software RAID does without backup,
and I have not heard of problems with lost metadata for
that so far. Of course the RAID superblocks are stored at
the _end_ of the device, so overwriting it accidentially
is pretty hard.

Maybe add an optional backup copy of the LUKS header to the
end of the device? Of course this does not protect from user
error...

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dipl. Inform., CISSP --- CSG, ETH Zurich, wagner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx