Re: How to use crpytosetup-luks on old cryptsetup partitions?

Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> In no place you wrote how you used cryptsetup-luks to get this behaviour.
I just didn't want to paste here the whole how-to :) I did it from
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-274651.html except that I don't use
loop device but real partition [I hope that correct answer to your
question is below in this mail].

> Yes it should. From the LUKS homepage: "LUKS for dm-crypt is implemented in
> cryptsetup. cryptsetup-luks is intended as a complete replacement for the
> original cryptsetup. It provides all the functionally of the original
> version plus all LUKS features, that are accessable by luks* action."
Yes, I read that and I am in serious doubt about it - there seems to be
some incompatibility - maybe minor, maybe just in some commandline
parameter that it needs...

> How do you sync a dd image?
Synchronize data, not image... I used rsync on mounted dd image once, it
shoud work again. Btw - crazy idea, don't take it serious - could
diff&patch do something like this? :)

> Why not first try to solve your "invalid argument" problem. So please post
> the exact cryptsetup commands you used to
Yes, I'd love to do it this way...

> 1) initially setup the encrypted partition and

KEY=`tr -cd [:graph:] < /dev/urandom | head -c 79`
echo $KEY | cryptsetup -h sha256 create wra /dev/sda6

I got error:
Command failed: Invalid argument

After reading the forum I found something about that cs-luks is
incompatible with cryptsetup. I found that I have cs-luks installed. And
than I typed commands faster than I was able think :) Unmerged
cryptsetup-luks, emerged cryptsetup and the error was gone.

> 2) recreate the mapping with cs-luks.
I think that pam_mount recreates the mapping. I did never do it
manually. I only added one line to pam_mount.conf and with old
cryptsetup everything worked fine. This line:

volume whiteraven crypt - /dev/sda6 /home/whiteraven loop,cipher=aes
aes-256-ecb /home/whiteraven.key

It doesn't work with cryptsetup-luks - I can see the same error when I
try to log in from console.
Command failed: Invalid argument

And I hope you will not get a headache from this...

--
S pozdravom

*White Raven*

Jabber: wra@xxxxxxxxxxxxx