Re: How to use crpytosetup-luks on old cryptsetup partitions?

Am Mittwoch, 28. Juni 2006 13:08 schrieb ext White Raven:
> Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
> > Yes, if you use LUKS. If you don't use LUKS, cryptsetup-luks behaves
> > just like cryptsetup.
>
> Hmmm... Old cryptsetup successful maping and mounting and
> cryptsetup-luks really weird "invalid argument" error doesn't seem like
> same behavior to me. There definetly is something I don't understand.

In no place you wrote how you used cryptsetup-luks to get this behaviour.

> But the real problem is that I just dont know what it is...
>
> After changing old cs for cs-luks - should all work as before without
> any changes in configuration of pam_mount or some changes are required?

Yes it should. From the LUKS homepage: "LUKS for dm-crypt is implemented in
cryptsetup. cryptsetup-luks is intended as a complete replacement for the
original cryptsetup. It provides all the functionally of the original
version plus all LUKS features, that are accessable by luks* action."

> I have an (recent - about 7 days old) unencrypted dd image of original
> partition on other harddrive.
>
> So, should I do this?
>
> - "synchronize" data from encrypted patrition with backup

How do you sync a dd image?

> - forget about old cryptsetup and try to revert all changes to state
> before any encryption experiments
> - start all over with cryptsetup-luks
>
> I am getting to by little confused about how this cryptosetup stuff
> works :) And this seems to me now as the easiest way...

Why not first try to solve your "invalid argument" problem. So please post
the exact cryptsetup commands you used to

1) initially setup the encrypted partition and
2) recreate the mapping with cs-luks.

Bye...

	Dirk
--
Dirk Heinrichs          | Tel:  +49 (0)162 234 3408
Configuration Manager   | Fax:  +49 (0)211 47068 111