Re: encrypted swap oopsing in kernel 2.6.16.1 on AMD64

Jonas Meurer wrote:
> On 05/04/2006 Ruben Garcia wrote:
>> I have been using encrypted swap for some time now on an amd32 without
>> any problems.
>> I recently switched to an amd64 and I'm getting oopses every six hours
>> or so.
>> I tried loop->dm-crypt-≥swap, which is unsafe.
>
> do you mean, that you use a swap file, not a swap partition?

I tried both. I found later that using a swap file was known to oops,
but I can't find the reference now. I can look next week if you are
interested.
>> I then tried dmcrypt->swap, which is correct according to
>> http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/
>>
>> Both of them are giving me the oopses.
>
> this means that both, an encrypted swap file, and an encrypted swap
> partition cause the oopses?

Yes. I then switched to unencrypted swap, and have not had a problem for
a few days, so I'm quite sure it is due to encrypted swap.

>> Does anybody know if there might be a problem with amd64 and encrypted
> swap?
>
> i'm member of the debian cryptsetup maintainer team, and we got a
> bugreport about this issue. for the submitter, encrypted swap files
> (over loop, no other way to access files with dm-crypt) cause oopses,
> but encrypted swap partitions don't do.

Yes, it's because in that case there may be a kmalloc() which produces a
second call to kswapd, which then oopses because it is already called.

> I'm able to reproduce this bug, so yes, at least swap files mounted as
> loop device crash the system.
> I run debian amd64, but the submitter of the bugreport uses an i386
> system, thus i don't think that it's related to amd64.

Yes, I didn't have any problem with encrypted swap in i386 either.
I'm using Ubuntu 5.10, and just changed the kernel to 2.6.16.1.

> please see http://bugs.debian.org/351393 for more information about the
> bugreport.
>
> here is a script which causes my system to crash with encrypted swap
> file, while it doesn't crash with encrypted swap partition:
> # perl -e ' <at> foo = (); push( <at> foo, "x"x1000) for (1..10**5);
> fork for (1..10**5); sleep 60'

>  jonas
I'm going to be away next week.
I will add the encrypted swap partition again when I come back and run
your program.
I'll post if I get it to crash. How long does it take? How much RAM do
you have?
I have 1Gb ram and 1Gb swap.
I get the oopses after using arount 200Mb of the swap partition, using
freenet.

I'll report again afterwards.
Thanks!