Re: encrypted swap oopsing in kernel 2.6.16.1 on AMD64

On 05/04/2006 Ruben Garcia wrote:
> I have been using encrypted swap for some time now on an amd32 without
> any problems.
> I recently switched to an amd64 and I'm getting oopses every six hours
> or so.
> I tried loop->dm-crypt->swap, which is unsafe.

do you mean, that you use a swap file, not a swap partition?

> I then tried dmcrypt->swap, which is correct according to
> http://www.saout.de/misc/dm-crypt/
>
> Both of them are giving me the oopses.

this means that both, an encrypted swap file, and an encrypted swap
partition cause the oopses?

> Does anybody know if there might be a problem with amd64 and encrypted swap?

i'm member of the debian cryptsetup maintainer team, and we got a
bugreport about this issue. for the submitter, encrypted swap files
(over loop, no other way to access files with dm-crypt) cause oopses,
but encrypted swap partitions don't do.

I'm able to reproduce this bug, so yes, at least swap files mounted as
loop device crash the system.
I run debian amd64, but the submitter of the bugreport uses an i386
system, thus i don't think that it's related to amd64.

please see http://bugs.debian.org/351393 for more information about the
bugreport.

here is a script which causes my system to crash with encrypted swap
file, while it doesn't crash with encrypted swap partition:
# perl -e '@foo = (); push(@foo, "x"x1000) for (1..10**5); fork for (1..10**5); sleep 60'

 jonas