Re: cryptsetup-1.0.3 final

Jonas Meurer <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/04/2006 Clemens Fruhwirth wrote:
> > cryptsetup 1.0.3 final is out.
> > Available at the regular URL:
> >
> > http://luks.endorphin.org/dm-crypt
> >
> > Changes since 1.0.3-rc3:
> >
> >     * alignPayload patch Peter Palfrader
> >     * meaningful exit codes and password retrying by Johannes Weißl
>
> great, but i have some minor problems with this release:
> - cryptsetup --help does not give information about -q|--batch-mode and
>   --version any more.
>   also the description for isLuks somehow changed to 'add key to LUKS
>   device'.
>   this got confused somehow, as both issues where fixed in 1.0.3-rc3.

check your compile tree (unpack a fresh one?). I'm not seeing anything
you described:

ghanima:/home/clemens/.xemacs# cryptsetup --help
cryptsetup-luks 1.0.3
Usage: cryptsetup [OPTION...] <action> <action-specific>]
  -q, --batch-mode            Do not ask for confirmation
..
  --align-payload=SECTORS     Align payload at <n> sector boundaries - for
                              luksFormat
..
        isLuks <device> - tests <device> for LUKS partition header
..
ghanima:/home/clemens/.xemacs# cryptsetup --version
cryptsetup-luks 1.0.3

> - what is meant with 'password retrying'? it sounds like an option to
>   specify how often the command is retried in case that it fails.
>   if this is true, why is it neither documented in cryptsetup --help,
>   nor in man cryptsetup? how does the syntax look like?

Right that's missing. When you are in interactive mode (no keyfile,
password not read from file descriptor; short: from a terminal) then
cryptsetup will retry password reading in case it wasn't able to find a
valid key slot for the given password.

> the debian package does it in another way. cryptsetup is built without
> any "static" options the following way:
>
> $ make
> $ gcc lib/.libs/*.o src/*.o luks/.libs/*.o -o src/cryptsetup.static \
> 		-lpopt -ldevmapper -luuid /usr/lib/libgcrypt.a \
> 		/usr/lib/libgpg-error.a
> $ make install
> $ cp src/cryptsetup.static $(CURDIR)/debian/cryptsetup/sbin/cryptsetup

> do you think that using --enable-static in configure is a better way?
> or does it do the same? in this case the configure option would be
> better, as it ensures that compability is kept even for future releases.

The configure option mostly tells libtool to take care of static
linking. I think libtool adapts better to all strange host environments,
so I think --enable-static is better. But debian isn't a strange host
environment, and when the packager feels more confortable with the way
above, I don't think he should change. It's a matter of taste.

> ps: did you already investigate the bug with encrypted swap files? see
>     http://bugs.debian.org/351393 for more information.

No, and frankly I don't consider myself part of the kernel developer
community.
--
Fruhwirth Clemens - http://clemens.endorphin.org
for robots: sp4mtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxxx