Re: is 'dynamic-power-coefficient' expected to be based on 'real' power measurements?

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 09:45:04AM +0530, Rajendra Nayak wrote:

> On 9/16/2020 3:06 AM, Matthias Kaehlcke wrote:

> > > Is it possible to elaborate, I'm not sure to get the point ?
> >
> > A device could have a thermal zone with the following cooling
> > devices:
> >
> > - CPUs with power consumption specified as pmW (pseudo mW
> > - A modem from a third party vendor. The modem can dissipate
> >    significant heat and allows to throttle the bandwidth for
> >    cooling. The power consumption of the modem is given in
> >    mW.
> >
> > These could be crammed together in a small form factor
> > (e.g. ChromeCast or Chromebit) which makes it difficult to
> > discern with a sensor what exactly is generating the heat,
> > which is why you have a single thermal zone.
> >
> > IPA is used as governor for this zone, it can't make accurate
> > decisions because one cooling device specifies it's power
> > consumption in pmW and the other in mW.
>
> Is there a real example upstream for this, or is it a theoretical
> problem (which can exist in the future) we are trying to solve?

Sort of, there is the rk3288-based veyron-mickey, which uses CPUs,
the GPU and ddrfreq as cooling devices in the same zone:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromiumos/third_party/kernel/+/refs/heads/chromeos-4.19/arch/arm/boot/dts/rk3288-veyron-mickey.dts#42

The device doesn't use IPA though, so mixed up units wouldn't matter in this
case.

>From a quick grep in arch/arm(64)/boot/dts/ at least it seems that mixing
cooling devices of different types is not a common case, though it doesn't
necessarily reflect what is done in custom DTs.