Re: is 'dynamic-power-coefficient' expected to be based on 'real' power measurements?

On Tue, Sep 15, 2020 at 11:23:49PM +0200, Daniel Lezcano wrote:
> On 15/09/2020 23:13, Matthias Kaehlcke wrote:

> >> Well, if a SoC vendor decides to mix the units, then there is nothing we
> >> can do.
> >>
> >> When specifying the power numbers available for the SoC, they could be
> >> all scaled against the highest power number.
> >
> > The GPU was just one example, a device could have heat dissipating components
> > that are not from the SoC vendor (e.g. WiFi, modem, backlight), and depending
> > on the design it might not make sense to have separate thermal zones.
>
> Is it possible to elaborate, I'm not sure to get the point ?

A device could have a thermal zone with the following cooling
devices:

- CPUs with power consumption specified as pmW (pseudo mW
- A modem from a third party vendor. The modem can dissipate
  significant heat and allows to throttle the bandwidth for
  cooling. The power consumption of the modem is given in
  mW.

These could be crammed together in a small form factor
(e.g. ChromeCast or Chromebit) which makes it difficult to
discern with a sensor what exactly is generating the heat,
which is why you have a single thermal zone.

IPA is used as governor for this zone, it can't make accurate
decisions because one cooling device specifies it's power
consumption in pmW and the other in mW.