Re: Moving ARM dts files

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 12:36 PM Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Olof, Arnd,
>
> I've put together a script to move the dts files and update the
> makefiles. It doesn't handle files not following a common prefix which
> isn't many and some includes within the dts files will need some fixups
> by hand.
>
> MAINTAINERS will also need updating.
>
> A few questions:
>
> Do we want to move absolutely everything to subdirs? There's quite a
> few platforms with only 1-2 platforms. I haven't added these to the
> list yet, but can.
>
> Do any vendors need another level of directories? davinci, omap, nspire,
> etc. for TI for example.
>
> What to do with armv7m.dtsi? I guess it should remain and we just fixup
> the include. There may be a few other cross vendor things.
>

> Sub-arch maintainers,
> 'vendor_map' below is the mapping of file prefix to new subdirectory
> (the SoC vendor prefix). Please comment if there are any issues.

Here's an updated mapping filled out with the rest of the platforms
and using SoC family names in some cases as discussed. The move is
completely scripted now including include fixups (though any new
includes could break things). So mainly just need to bikeshed the
directory mapping. Not sure if marvell should be split up more or not.
I split out pxa2xx and pxa3xx, but then there's other pxa chips I
think aren't really related. TI is still all one directory except
nspire. I was going to split out davinci too, but it's only a couple
of files. Sub-arch maintainers need to chime in with what they want.

A branch is here including a fix to dtbs_install:
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/robh/linux.git arm-dts-move

vendor_map = {
    'alphascale' : 'alphascale',
    'alpine' : 'alpine',
    'artpec' : 'axis',