Re: Moving ARM dts files

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 23:33, Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 12:36 PM Rob Herring <robh@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Olof, Arnd,
> >
> > I've put together a script to move the dts files and update the
> > makefiles. It doesn't handle files not following a common prefix which
> > isn't many and some includes within the dts files will need some fixups
> > by hand.
> >
> > MAINTAINERS will also need updating.
> >
> > A few questions:
> >
> > Do we want to move absolutely everything to subdirs? There's quite a
> > few platforms with only 1-2 platforms. I haven't added these to the
> > list yet, but can.
> >
> > Do any vendors need another level of directories? davinci, omap, nspire,
> > etc. for TI for example.
> >
> > What to do with armv7m.dtsi? I guess it should remain and we just fixup
> > the include. There may be a few other cross vendor things.
> >

> > Sub-arch maintainers,
> > 'vendor_map' below is the mapping of file prefix to new subdirectory
> > (the SoC vendor prefix). Please comment if there are any issues.
>
> Here's an updated mapping filled out with the rest of the platforms
> and using SoC family names in some cases as discussed. The move is
> completely scripted now including include fixups (though any new
> includes could break things). So mainly just need to bikeshed the
> directory mapping. Not sure if marvell should be split up more or not.
> I split out pxa2xx and pxa3xx, but then there's other pxa chips I
> think aren't really related. TI is still all one directory except
> nspire. I was going to split out davinci too, but it's only a couple
> of files. Sub-arch maintainers need to chime in with what they want.
>
> A branch is here including a fix to dtbs_install:
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/robh/linux.git arm-dts-move

> [...]

Since Exynos is Samsung, I would prefer consistency here so let's put
everything under vendor - samsung. I understand that It will be
different than arm64 but that's the problem of choosing non-vendor
name for arm64 at first place. So let's go with:
     'exynos' : 'samsung',
     's3c' : 'samsung',
     's5p' : 'samsung',

Best regards,