Re: A download location for cephadm (take 2)

On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 6:00:01 PM EDT Dan Mick wrote:
> A long long time ago when this first came up, I suggested we have
> instructions that mechanized finding the package from download.ceph.com
> and downloading/extracting the zipapp from it.  I felt strongly at the
> time that we should try our best to avoid having two sources of truth
> for the Real Tested Binary, and packages were the obvious answer, but
> using the actual package management software was not suitable, so wrote
> the extraction code.
>
> We didn't ever release that code for extracting from the package, but
> the technique found its way into the build jobs in Oct 2021:
>
> At present, at least for the CI builds, the cephadm binary/zipapp is
> extracted from packages during the build and placed, separately, in the
> package repo as a plain file, unmanaged by the package managers.  See
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/blob/main/ceph-dev-new-build/build/build_
> rpm#L59-L63 and
> https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/blob/main/scripts/build_utils.sh#L984-L98
> 8 (the asymmetry was there when I got there).

OK, that's a good start. :-)

> That code is also present in the "ceph-dev-build" and "ceph-build" jobs
> (which do candidate builds for named releases and final release builds,
> respectively), and indeed cephadm is present in the rpm repos (for
> example, http://download.ceph.com/rpm-17.2.6/el8/noarch/cephadm) but I
> don't see the cephadm binary on download.ceph.com for deb repos.  (It's
> probably the "sync to download.ceph.com" step being unaware it should
> copy anything besides .deb.)

Unfortunately, I don't think this RPM derived cephadm is appropriate for
general uses. RPM mangles the shebang line to something RH-distro specific so
this `cephadm` wouldn't work properly on distros like debian, ubuntu, etc. I
think it does this to the zipapp too - but I would need to verify it.

I'm aware of chacra.ceph.com (and 1.chacra.ceph.com) but all I can get from it
is JSON and I would like to inspect the actual binary. I'm probably not using
the proper interface but I don't know where to look.

If the file extracted from the ubuntu deb package does not get mangled and the
shebang simply refers to `python3` then we'd be good there once the issue with
the deb release process is resolved.

> My suggestion would be to debug the issue with the deb release process,
> and document that the binary can be found in the appropriate path
> corresponding to the release in download.ceph.com.

Sounds like a plan, is that something you expect us to do, or is it something
you are planning to do? I'm happy to help but I'm afraid I wouldn't know where
to start so at least I'd need some initial "hand holding".

Thanks!