Re: A download location for cephadm (take 2)

A long long time ago when this first came up, I suggested we have instructions that mechanized finding the package from download.ceph.com and downloading/extracting the zipapp from it. I felt strongly at the time that we should try our best to avoid having two sources of truth for the Real Tested Binary, and packages were the obvious answer, but using the actual package management software was not suitable, so wrote the extraction code.

We didn't ever release that code for extracting from the package, but the technique found its way into the build jobs in Oct 2021:

At present, at least for the CI builds, the cephadm binary/zipapp is extracted from packages during the build and placed, separately, in the package repo as a plain file, unmanaged by the package managers. See https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/blob/main/ceph-dev-new-build/build/build_rpm#L59-L63 and https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/blob/main/scripts/build_utils.sh#L984-L988 (the asymmetry was there when I got there).

That code is also present in the "ceph-dev-build" and "ceph-build" jobs (which do candidate builds for named releases and final release builds, respectively), and indeed cephadm is present in the rpm repos (for example, http://download.ceph.com/rpm-17.2.6/el8/noarch/cephadm) but I don't see the cephadm binary on download.ceph.com for deb repos. (It's probably the "sync to download.ceph.com" step being unaware it should copy anything besides .deb.)

My suggestion would be to debug the issue with the deb release process, and document that the binary can be found in the appropriate path corresponding to the release in download.ceph.com.