Re: ninja/cmake stuck at downloading boost during build

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 2:30 PM Rishabh Dave <ridave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Feb 2023 at 19:52, Casey Bodley <cbodley@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 9:14 AM Rishabh Dave <ridave@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am trying to build Ceph binaries from the main branch. Sometimes
> > > "ninja -j 7 " (see the bottom for steps I run to initiate the build)
> > > gets stuck at the step where the Boost library is downloaded. The step
> > > description printed on stdout is "Performing download step (download,
> > > verify and extract) for 'Boost'". Running nethogs shows that cmake is
> > > indeed downloading but the download speed is less than 50 Kbps. Last
> > > night, I also saw this issue while building binaries for the "quincy"
> > > branch.
> > >
> > > Cancelling and reinitiating the build has no effect on the download
> > > speed. Is there a way to choose the faster/fastest mirror to download
> > > the Boost library? How can I change the default mirror that cmake
> > > uses?
> >
> > the mirrors are listed here:
> > https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/f160cc8/cmake/modules/BuildBoost.cmake#L158-L160
>
> Would changing the order of URLs in this file locally would change the
> URL that cmake uses to download Boost library?

yep. the download.ceph.com url may have been affected by recent
networking issues in the lab, but i'm not sure why the jfrog url was
slow. are you still having issues with the download?

> > > Another option is to use the boost library installed on my system. For
> > > this I can pass "-DWITH_SYSTEM_BOOST=ON" to the "do_cmake.sh" script.
> > > My system has version 1.76 installed. Will this version work fine? Has
> > > anyone tried this before?
> >
> > main requires boost 1.79 or later:
> > https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/f160cc8/CMakeLists.txt#L654
>
> Okay. For that I would need to upgrade to 37 I guess.

if you mean fedora 37, i'm afraid that only has boost 1.78