Re: Process question: How to make progress on PR#48697

On Friday, February 10, 2023 12:42:06 PM EST Neha Ojha wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for bringing this PR to our attention!
>
> The general process to merge PRs in Ceph involves code reviews and making
> sure relevant tests are passing. Once a PR gets approved, a "needs-qa"
> label is added to PRs to indicate that the PR is ready for testing. In most
> cases, this testing means running relevant test suites in teuthology. In
> cases where teuthology testing is not needed, it is fine to summarize the
> validation that has been done for the PR as a comment to indicate that the
> PR is ready for merge. This process is more formally described in
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/dev/developer_guide/basic-workflow/.

Yes, thanks. Most of my other collaborations on the ceph repo have been
through the orchestration team and have worked with team lead Adam King who
generally merges orchestration focused PRs. Most of my other contributions
have been labeled with "needs-qa" and run through teuthology by Adam. With
regards to this PR which lies outside the scope of orchestration, Adam's in a
similar situation to Mark in the previous message... not familiar enough with
the scripts to want to get directly involved.

On a technical level I am 90% confident that these scripts are only executed by
the jenkins CI jobs (and manually by some people) and are not parts of the
build and test runs executed by teuthology.

> As far as your PR is concerned, I am not seeing a "needs-qa" label on it.
> Do you think the PR has gone through adequate testing and can be merged as
> is?

I'd like to think so, but this is where I had hoped to get the guidance of a
more experienced ceph contributor... especially one who is familiar with these
scripts. For these patches I do think the jenkins CI jobs should be largely
sufficient but I've only been hacking on them a couple of months. What I can
promise is that if they are merged and anyone finds issues I *will* support
them and provide fixes, etc. as promptly as possible.

I appreciate the thoughts provided so far.  I'm still not sure what my
actionable "next steps" should be.