Re: Ceph support for GCC 12 (in Debian Unstable)

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, Jul 28, 2022 at 4:35 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> Hi there!
>
> I don't really want to be annoying everyone with my own little concerns,
> I'm already satisfied with the current situation, a way more than it was
> when the Ceph release cycles were on an 8 months basis. I was only
> replying to the question: "why not Quincy". :)
>
> There's still the option to provide a non-official Debian repository for
> Debian+Ceph users to do the upgrades, but I don't really like this idea.
> Really, a simple "apt-get dist-upgrade" should be the only thing one
> should keep in mind.
>
> BTW, how does the OSD upgrade works upstream? Can someone point me at
> the relevant piece of code? Would it be hard to maintain a Debian
> specific patch so that it'd be possible to upgrade from 14.2 to 17.x?
>
> The other annoying bit that I haven't told yet: Debian and Ubuntu are
> often working together on the same packages. As Ubuntu is already on
> Quincy, we can't share the same Ceph packaging.
>
> When looking at it, they upgraded from 12.2 to 15.2 between Bionic and
> Focal. I guess they advised their users to use intermediary non-LTS
> releases of Ubuntu to do the Ceph upgrades...

IIUIC, the upgrade path for Ceph across Ubuntu LTS releases relies on
the Ubuntu Cloud Archive [1,2,3], which provides Ceph packages (and
more) from newer Ubuntu releases (non-LTSes + next LTS) in LTS
releases (similarly to what you described, a 'repository for
distro+ceph users to do upgrades').

So, users can remain on the same Ubuntu LTS release to perform Ceph
upgrades, either periodically/sporadically as newer Ceph packages are
available from newer Ubuntu non-LTS releases or say, cumulatively,
going through those at the time of the next Ubuntu LTS release.

This also allows testing the next Ceph version first, before doing a
distro release-upgrade that provides the same (tested) Ceph version,
which helps to reduce risk in the overall distro/ceph upgrade process.

I'm definitely not experienced with Ceph, but I've seen a few bits of
this while working here and there.

Hope this helps!

[1] https://ubuntu.com/ceph "Benefits of Ceph on Ubuntu"
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OpenStack/CloudArchive#Ceph_and_the_UCA