Re: Ceph support for GCC 12 (in Debian Unstable)

On 7/28/22 01:23, kefu chai wrote:

Thomas Goirand <zigo@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:zigo@xxxxxxxxxx>>于2022年7月28日 Because Debian Stable (ie: Bullseye, aka Debian 11) has 14.2.x, and we
    want to have an upgrade path, we can only package 16.2.x in the next
    stable (ie: Bookworm, aka Debian 12).

    I very much would like the situation to change. This can only happen if:
    - Ceph upstream makes its release cycle longer, so Debian can catch-up
    (we freeze every 2 years, so even if we don't have a set-in-advance
    release date, we're always on a 2 years cadence...).
    - Ceph upstream makes it possible to skip one more version (ie: skip 2,
    not only 1).

    It's already *very* nice that Ceph is on a 1 year release cycle and
    allow skipping one release each time, as this is aligned with Debian,
    but I have no solution right now to go directly to Quincy... :/

IIRC, you raised this concern before. But unfortunately, we didn’t come up with a sound solution. In other words, the combination of these two release schedules forces Debian users to upgrade their cluster to a new stable release of Ceph and Debian every major release of Debian. It might be like a life-long marathon to those who don’t have the {willing,money,power,interests} to maintain their own Ceph branch..

    Your thoughts on this would be very welcome.

This was a major decision (
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/general/ <https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/releases/general/> ) we made for the release schema couple years ago. If we want to put it on the table again, it would probably be a topic for CLTs and governing board discussions.

Hi there!

I don't really want to be annoying everyone with my own little concerns, I'm already satisfied with the current situation, a way more than it was when the Ceph release cycles were on an 8 months basis. I was only replying to the question: "why not Quincy". :)

There's still the option to provide a non-official Debian repository for Debian+Ceph users to do the upgrades, but I don't really like this idea. Really, a simple "apt-get dist-upgrade" should be the only thing one should keep in mind.

BTW, how does the OSD upgrade works upstream? Can someone point me at the relevant piece of code? Would it be hard to maintain a Debian specific patch so that it'd be possible to upgrade from 14.2 to 17.x?

The other annoying bit that I haven't told yet: Debian and Ubuntu are often working together on the same packages. As Ubuntu is already on Quincy, we can't share the same Ceph packaging.

When looking at it, they upgraded from 12.2 to 15.2 between Bionic and Focal. I guess they advised their users to use intermediary non-LTS releases of Ubuntu to do the Ceph upgrades...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)