Re: ceph containers for a faster dev + test cycle

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 10:27 AM Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Probably the easiest first pass approach would simply be to compile with
> symbols and then create a debug container and a non-debug container with
> the symbols stripped.

I am not a Ceph debugging expert, and I think that's why this issue is
cloudy for me. If we did that, would it be simple for Ceph users to
utilize? And Teuthology? For example, would we lose some debugging
data if users have to swap container environments like that?

> Longer term, I *think* this is the usecase for elfutil's debuginfod
> server tools:
>

> https://developers.redhat.com/blog/2019/10/14/introducing-debuginfod-the-elfutils-debuginfo-server

> I've never really looked at it seriously, but my understanding is that
> you basically create a debuginfod server for your executables and then
> they can be automatically fetched when you need the symbol information.
> The specifically mention debugging in containers that weren't built with
> symbols.

Thanks for this link. It looks interesting. I'm going to find the
teams who are working on debuginfod to understand if that will work
with our use-case. I'm also curious about the disconnected use-cases -
what would users do in disconnected environments? Or environments
where they're building their own forks outside of ceph.com? (a likely
use-case where debuginfo is especially useful :)

- Ken