Re: ceph containers for a faster dev + test cycle

On Tue, Jan 18, 2022 at 4:14 PM Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does the container build process take significantly longer than the
> normal rpm build process?  I've seen some references to things like
> buildah and (docker) build caches being able to speed up container
> creation, but I don't really know anything about it.  My preference
> would probably be to just take some preexisting base container image and
> compile/dump ceph into a /usr/local equivalent given that the container
> is sort of the package anyway already, but I imagine that might not be
> super popular. ;)

I am interested in this approach, but every time I look into it, I hit
the issue of debug symbols.

RPM strips the debug symbols out of users' RPMs, and places them into
separate debuginfo packages.

What is the ideal way to handle this in a containers-only build process?

- Ken