Re: ceph containers for a faster dev + test cycle

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 9:00 AM Ken Dreyer <kdreyer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 10:27 AM Mark Nelson <mnelson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Probably the easiest first pass approach would simply be to compile with
> > symbols and then create a debug container and a non-debug container with
> > the symbols stripped.
>
> I am not a Ceph debugging expert, and I think that's why this issue is
> cloudy for me. If we did that, would it be simple for Ceph users to
> utilize? And Teuthology? For example, would we lose some debugging
> data if users have to swap container environments like that?

I don't know much about packaging and debug symbols either, but let's
be clear: this is a very narrowly-scoped issue. "Ceph users" really
don't enter into it at all; it's entirely about developers being able
to run teuthology tests more quickly than our current "push to CI
repo, wait 60-180 minutes depending on mood of servers and length of
queue, schedule tests". So we need debugging to work in a way that is
accessible to dedicated Ceph developers, but the setup cost can be
arbitrarily high as long as it's one-time-only.

Our actual releases (and anything we wanted to give out to others, or
really deploy) would continue to go through the existing build
systems.
-Greg