Re: Ceph Pacific now builds on all Debian official arch

On 1/11/22 00:29, Gregory Farnum wrote:
Generally you schedule suites. If you search for "ceph teuthology
testing presentation" you'll find some presentations from our "Tech
talks" series and at various conferences that go over the basic design
and how-to of it all.

Hi Gregory,

Thanks, I found your video at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZYBMGfQKVk

It's nice, it explains a lot of things, but probably not all of what I need unfortunately.

At this point, I got teuthology packaged for Debian (currently only sitting on my laptop and my test VMs, but if that works, I'm planning for an upload to Debian proper), including it's dependencies that were not available in Debian (ie: python-beanstalkc, python-manhole, python-rocket), and all of that installed in a Debian Unstable machine. The command line tools seems to work, however, I'm not sure what to do next.

One thing I'm foreseeing, is that I need to get teuthology.task.ceph to install Ceph from packages, *NOT* using Ceph upstream repositories (which are by the way, not available for Pacific and Debian Unstable).

Indeed, I do not want Teuthology to use anything but packages from the distro, meaning no pip, no git clone or the like. I'm guessing it's not possible in the current shape of Teuthology / Ceph, right? Would you have some advice on what kind of patch I would need to produce? I'm having a hard time to figure out which bit is setting-up the Debian repositories and the like...

Looks like teuthology.task.ceph is using Ansible, which itself isn't really doing what I need.

Could you give an example command line with teuthology-suite, so I could run on Debian unstable? I'm a bit loss with the --machine-type param. What is smithi / gibba ? Is this something specific to the Ceph lab thing?

Also, another quick question: the folder at https://github.com/ceph/teuthology/tree/master/teuthology/suite/test/suites is empty. It's looking like tests are in in fact in the Ceph main repository. How do I get them installed (ie: where in the filesystem, if I have teuthology installed in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/teuthology)? Should I get these files in /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/teuthology/suite/test/suites in my packaged teuthology? Is there anything else I should do to get these installed? In such case, probably I should have the ceph source package to create a teuthology-suites .deb binary, and have teuthology runtime depends: on it?

I hope I'm not overloading you with my silly questions... :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)