Re: Ceph Pacific now builds on all Debian official arch

Hi Gregory,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

On 1/11/22 00:29, Gregory Farnum wrote:
It's just not a project I would embark on without very specific
intentions and time to develop the relevant skill base and a plan to
take advantage of that work, given the up-front costs.

Let me explain what I'd like to achieve.

In Debian, we insist that packages shouldn't embed their own copy of libraries. Unfortunately, that's what Ceph is doing upstream. So in Debian, as much as possible, I'm removing internal code copy, and I'm pushing the package to link against the system version.

Unfortunately, this may cause some troubles if the versions aren't the same. And that's what I would like to test with the functional test suite, first each time there's a new Ceph release (even a minor one), and then, before a new Debian release.

The other point is that I would like to have additional Q/A, so that it's easier to convince the Debian Stable release team that an update in Debian Stable isn't breaking anything.

Finally, I'd love to be able to run the OpenStack integration tests, to improve OpenStack releases in Debian as well.

Also note, you don't specify mons and OSDs, you just need to provide
machines with enough disk and teuthology sets up clusters and runs
workloads on them.

Good to know, thanks!

Would it be enough to run Ceph inside VMs in an OpenStack cloud? That's
be a way more convenient than working with real hardware.

Sure, we used to do a bunch of teuthology-controlled testing inside of
OVH's public OpenStack cloud. I'm not sure if it's currently easiest
to just allocate machines or if the libcloud-based APIs ever merged,
though.
-Greg

I saw apache-libcloud is one of the dependencies of Teuthology. Is it used to provision VMs to test on?

For me, it's easier to test on VMs, because I got a lot of compute power to my disposal (compute machines with TBs of RAM, lots of AMD Epyc cores, etc.), and setting-up physical machine is always a pain: it requires the datacenter people to do it for me, and it takes a long time. So if VMs are enough, even if it is slower to run, I'll go that route.

I'm currently packaging Teuthology so it gets easier to install, and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)