Re: Ceph Pacific now builds on all Debian official arch

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 1:06 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Gregory,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> On 1/11/22 00:29, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> > It's just not a project I would embark on without very specific
> > intentions and time to develop the relevant skill base and a plan to
> > take advantage of that work, given the up-front costs.
>
> Let me explain what I'd like to achieve.
>
> In Debian, we insist that packages shouldn't embed their own copy of
> libraries. Unfortunately, that's what Ceph is doing upstream. So in
> Debian, as much as possible, I'm removing internal code copy, and I'm
> pushing the package to link against the system version.
>
> Unfortunately, this may cause some troubles if the versions aren't the
> same. And that's what I would like to test with the functional test
> suite, first each time there's a new Ceph release (even a minor one),
> and then, before a new Debian release.
>
> The other point is that I would like to have additional Q/A, so that
> it's easier to convince the Debian Stable release team that an update in
> Debian Stable isn't breaking anything.
>
> Finally, I'd love to be able to run the OpenStack integration tests, to
> improve OpenStack releases in Debian as well.

Cool. I just want you to understand how much machine time you need
available to make any real use of it. :)

> > Also note, you don't specify mons and OSDs, you just need to provide
> > machines with enough disk and teuthology sets up clusters and runs
> > workloads on them.
>
> Good to know, thanks!
>
> >> Would it be enough to run Ceph inside VMs in an OpenStack cloud? That's
> >> be a way more convenient than working with real hardware.
> >
> > Sure, we used to do a bunch of teuthology-controlled testing inside of
> > OVH's public OpenStack cloud. I'm not sure if it's currently easiest
> > to just allocate machines or if the libcloud-based APIs ever merged,
> > though.
> > -Greg
>
> I saw apache-libcloud is one of the dependencies of Teuthology. Is it
> used to provision VMs to test on?

Yeah, that's the idea. I don't know how functional it is at this point.

On Tue, Jan 11, 2022 at 4:49 AM Thomas Goirand <zigo@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 1/11/22 00:29, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> > Generally you schedule suites. If you search for "ceph teuthology
> > testing presentation" you'll find some presentations from our "Tech
> > talks" series and at various conferences that go over the basic design
> > and how-to of it all.
>
> Hi Gregory,
>
> Thanks, I found your video at:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZYBMGfQKVk
>
> It's nice, it explains a lot of things, but probably not all of what I
> need unfortunately.
>
> At this point, I got teuthology packaged for Debian (currently only
> sitting on my laptop and my test VMs, but if that works, I'm planning
> for an upload to Debian proper), including it's dependencies that were
> not available in Debian (ie: python-beanstalkc, python-manhole,
> python-rocket), and all of that installed in a Debian Unstable machine.
> The command line tools seems to work, however, I'm not sure what to do next.
>
> One thing I'm foreseeing, is that I need to get teuthology.task.ceph to
> install Ceph from packages, *NOT* using Ceph upstream repositories
> (which are by the way, not available for Pacific and Debian Unstable).
>
> Indeed, I do not want Teuthology to use anything but packages from the
> distro, meaning no pip, no git clone or the like. I'm guessing it's not
> possible in the current shape of Teuthology / Ceph, right? Would you
> have some advice on what kind of patch I would need to produce? I'm
> having a hard time to figure out which bit is setting-up the Debian
> repositories and the like...

Much of this can be configured with custom URLs now by setting
configs, but I don't know how much might be missing. I don't think
going entirely for packages is going to be feasible though; we do
things like grab random utilities to build locally (both because the
build is part of the test, and because some of them are very specific
and not packaged anywhere). And for the suites, discussed later...

> Looks like teuthology.task.ceph is using Ansible, which itself isn't
> really doing what I need.
>
> Could you give an example command line with teuthology-suite, so I could
> run on Debian unstable? I'm a bit loss with the --machine-type param.
> What is smithi / gibba ? Is this something specific to the Ceph lab thing?

So my most recent test was:
teuthology-suite -m smithi --ceph-repo git://git.ceph.com/ceph-ci.git
-c wip-cidr-blocklist-1214-2 -s rados --suite-repo
git://github.com/ceph/ceph-ci.git --suite-branch
wip-cidr-blocklist-1214-2 --subset 1/100 -p 74 --force-priority
--filter rados_api_tests --limit

> Also, another quick question: the folder at
> https://github.com/ceph/teuthology/tree/master/teuthology/suite/test/suites
> is empty. It's looking like tests are in in fact in the Ceph main
> repository. How do I get them installed (ie: where in the filesystem, if
> I have teuthology installed in
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/teuthology)? Should I get these files in
> /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/teuthology/suite/test/suites in my
> packaged teuthology? Is there anything else I should do to get these
> installed? In such case, probably I should have the ceph source package
> to create a teuthology-suites .deb binary, and have teuthology runtime
> depends: on it?

So the suites are defined in
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/tree/master/qa/suites, and they are
freshly pulled for each suite run because you can point it at any
random git URL in order to generate new suites or tests within those
suites. I don't think there's any utility in packaging them, and
there's quite a lot in being able to run them from git. You'll notice
that's what is happening in my last scheduled run with the
"--suite-branch" option.

But I've never installed teuthology myself, just run a lot of tests
against it and done some code updates that were then installed by the
tools other people set up.
There is a weekly teuthology call on the calendar and that may be more
helpful to you than I can manage:
https://pad.ceph.com/p/teuthology-weekly. You may also get more help
if you send out an email with a subject specific to this, since I know
there are others who have run the tests but probably don't care much
about a distribution adding packages — the reason they've gone to the
effort of installing teuthology is because they're maintaining their
own packages, after all. :)
-Greg