Re: ceph-volume simple disk scenario without LVM for OSD on PVC

Thanks!
–––––––––
Sébastien Han
Senior Principal Software Engineer, Storage Architect

"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019 at 10:41 AM Jan Fajerski <jfajerski@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2019 at 10:00:04AM +0100, Sebastien Han wrote:
> >Inline:
> >
> >Thanks!
> >–––––––––
> >Sébastien Han
> >Senior Principal Software Engineer, Storage Architect
> >
> >"Always give 100%. Unless you're giving blood."

> >> Yes because that's basically what you're doing here.
> >
> >So what?
> >
> >> Personally I don't
> >> see the value in just switching back again as I didn't found real good
> >> and absolutely necessary reasons to do so and why rook and/or
> >> ceph-volume couldn't be fixed in that regard. I also didn't find out why
> >> the new solution should be any better in the case that we don't talk
> >> about switching back in a few month again because all of those issues
> >> are fixed now - You said it yourself "ultimately fixed" which at the
> >> same time means that such tools need some time to reach the point were
> >> all those issues are fixed. We need to start to talk across boundaries
> >> and to reach out and involve other project maintainer to work on real
> >> solutions instead of moving out of their way.
> >
> >ceph-volume is a sunk cost!
> >And your argument basically falls into that paradigm, "oh we have
> >invested so much already, that we cannot stop and we should continue
> >even though this will only bring more trouble". Incapable of accepting
> >this sunk cost.
> >All the issues that have been fixed with a lot of pain.
> >All that pain could have been avoided if LVM wasn't there and pursuing
> >in that direction will only lead us to more pain again.
> I don't think this was the argument. The intention is to at least try and fix
> the code we have, instead of inventing something new yet again. I'm still not
> sure what you mean with "a lot of pain". Nothing ever made it into the c-v
> tracker to see if things can be improved. What are these painful issue, are they
> so bad that we can not work on those as a community? I'm aware of
> https://github.com/rook/rook/pull/3771 and
> https://github.com/rook/rook/pull/4219. And again I'm more than happy to improve
> the c-v side of things, I just can't when I'm not aware.

There are certainly more than the 2 you mentioned, I can build up a
list of you insist.
Some of them were worked-around in Rook directly (due to time
constraint), some are pure container permission related because of LVM
(e,g. bindmounts).
Yes I know you're always willing to help and I appreciate that.
As mentioned in the previous reply I'll send a new email to propose a
solution that should be implemented in c-v then we will follow up with
a tracker bug.

> >> Just imagine we would switch back to partitions, that would mean that
> >> we're doing again a breaking change between releases. This change would
> >> result in the same thing such like filestore->bluestore or
> >> ceph-disk->ceph-volume - people have to rewrite the whole data of their
> >> cluster at one point or another (or do we want to support both tools
> >> forever?).
> >
> >That's completely wrong. It's not because you change the tool to
> >provision OSDs that you must trash and re-create your OSD.
> >That's why ceph-volume has the "simple scan" command interface.
> >ceph-ansible has handled that migration pretty well transparently
> >without any breaking change.
> So you propose user with lvm deployed OSDs can migrate without redeploying or
> any service interruption? How would that work?

There is nothing to migrate, people with ceph-disk-based OSDs never migrated.
Again, see "simple scan" + "activate" combo, that's how things
continue to operate.