Re: the cold-boot attack

markus reichelt wrote:
> * Jacob Appelbaum <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> markus reichelt wrote:

>>> Link?
>>>
>> Hi Markus,
>>
>> Here's our official paper distribution point. I suggest the youtube
>> video as well, it's pretty nicely done:
>> http://citp.princeton.edu/memory/
>
> I'm subscribed to this list but did not receive Boyd's original mail
> with the link. Somehow mails on this list make it to the archive but
> not always to people who are subscribed.
>
> Note to self: http://citp.princeton.edu.nyud.net/pub/coldboot.pdf
>
> I'm reading it now.
>
> I don't use flash so I'll skip the youtube video, there are pictures
> in the pdf as well.

The video is quite effective, it's worth downloading it and watching it.
I really encourage you to see it.

>>> As already stated numerious times, if theres root access (eg full
>>> access to a machine's memory, including a virtual machine) it's a
>>> piece of cake to get one's hands on the key.
>> Our attack works even after a full power off of the system.
>
> I'd like to add "directly". And one still needs direct access to the
> machine in question.

Yes. Certain servers are configured in a PXE boot environment. Some
laptops attempt to PXE boot by default. Etc.

> It reminds me of the procedure wiping CMOS BIOS data to reset
> settings to default values. (Yes I know about the battery :-)
>

>>> IIRC, key scrubbing has been implemented in loop-AES because some
>>> Gutmann paper mentioned possible key recovery from imprinted RAM
>>> patterns.
>> Yes. This isn't the same issue.
>
> Do you know if more extensive research has been done on the "other"
> issue?

I don't know of any other resources than Gutmann's public research. I'm
certain that more work has been done, I've heard people have implemented
the attack even. It sure would be great if someone could prove these
statements and we could start adapting.

Regards,
Jacob Appelbaum

-