Re: Kubuntu 7.10 64bit

Am Wed, 30 Jan 2008 20:26:09 +0100
schrieb Peter_22@xxxxxx:

> the following message appears when booting:
> "loopcrypt line 34 syntax error: redirection unexpected". Line 34
> referred to this 8<<<"$PASS" allocation. In my oppinion this
> construction was somehow awkward and should not be used.

It's an documented feature of bash:
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/bashref/Redirections.html
there is even another way to do the same ;)
PLAIN=$(cat /upscript.gpg | gpg --decrypt --no-tty --quiet \
       --passphrase-fd 8 8< <(echo "$PASS"))
I wonder, why it doesn't work on your system. Perhaps, your script is
still executed by dash.

> Just for the records, the following works:
> Using Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon in its 64-bit version loop-aes:
> - encrypts entire /root partition
> - encrypts device-backed swap
> - starts the machine from removable usb storage device
> - does all above with/without partition tables erased

there is another useful thing, that is easy to configure:
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
suspend-to-disk is possible (of course, the swap parition must be
encrypted with the same 65 keys every time)
You only need to map the swap-partition to /dev/loopX
in /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/loopcryptup and add this
new device to /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume
(I haven't tested it with an actual version of ubuntu till now, because
I don't need it. In previous releases, you also need to change a line
in /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh, if you want to use /dev/loopX instead of
UUID,... )

-