Problems building util-linux-ng on Fedora 8

I am trying to implement loop-AES on a Fedora 8 installation without
success at the moment.

I have followed Jari's instructions in section 4 of the loop-AES.README,
"Instructions for building new mount, umount, losetup, swapon and
swapoff".

Fedora 8 uses util-linux-ng instead of util-linux and so I followed the
alternative instructions of:

    bzip2 -d -c util-linux-ng-2.13.0.1.tar.bz2 | tar xvf -
    cd util-linux-ng-2.13.0.1
    patch -p1 </PATH/TO/LOOP-AES/util-linux-ng-2.13.0.1.diff
    CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall" ./configure
    make SUBDIRS=mount

When I get to the configure step, everything seems to go well and then I
receive the following:

checking for uuid_is_null in -luuid... no
configure: WARNING: uuid library is not found; mkswap(8) will not
generate UUIDs
checking for openpty in -lutil... yes
checking for tgetnum in -ltermcap... no
checking for blkid_known_fstype in -lblkid... no
configure: error: blkid or volume_id is needed to build util-linux-ng.

I also tried

    CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall" ./configure --with-fsprobe

and got similiar results:

checking for uuid_is_null in -luuid... no
configure: WARNING: uuid library is not found; mkswap(8) will not
generate UUIDs
checking for openpty in -lutil... yes
checking for tgetnum in -ltermcap... no
configure: error: blkid or volume_id is needed to build util-linux-ng.

I think from my reading that util-linux-ng depends upon e2fsprogs and
udev which I have the rpms installed for:

e2fsprogs-libs-1.40.2-11.fc8
e2fsprogs-1.40.2-11.fc8
udev-116-3.fc8

So I am not sure what I am missing.  Any ideas?

If more information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks!

Doug

-