Re: SuSE 10.2 and LOADNATIONALKEYB=1

Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Welcome to never ending mess of incompatible character encodings.
>
> My guess is that you created and encrypted your key file using some
> character encoding in X windows terminal, and the system console character
> encoding that is used to decrypt the key file at boot is different and
> incompatible.

Yes, I think the problem derives from that. I created the keys from the console in KDE. I also issued "dumpkeys >/iso/default.kmap" from KNOPPIX 5.0.1 DVD and tried to use this keymap with the gpg keys made under SuSE but it failed.

> That "dumpkeys >/iso/default.kmap" saves system console keyboard mappings.
> What happens is you switch to system console using CONTROL-ALT-F1 and
> create
> new key file using that keyboard mapping? Type CONTROL-ALT-F7 to get back
> X windows.

Ok. I´ll try this and report the results by tomorrow.

> Following shell commands dump hex values of character you type:
>
> $ read x ; echo -n ${x} | od -Ax -tx1 -
> 123
> 000000 31 32 33
> 000003
> $ read x ; echo -n ${x} | od -Ax -tx1 -
> öäåÖÄŵß
> 000000 f6 e4 e5 d6 c4 c5 b5 df
> 000008
>
> Are those hex values same in X windows terminal and system console?

Thanks for your efforts so far.

Best regards,
Peter

-