Re: Distinguishability of encrypted partition

One thing - while positing "they" in the threat model as they=Authorities is obviously important (especially with reference to totalitarian regimes such as PRC, but let's not forget all the recent changes to law in other places which seem to effectively dispense with any right to private data), in some ways illegal corporate espionage is a far tougher adversary.

In that case "they" are not subject to any due process at all and there can be huge amounts of money at stake and therefore resources invested to get the plaintext.

I wonder if there are any multibillion dollar companies out there relying on loop-aes to protect their secret product development data?

Florian Reitmeir <fr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Die, 13 Jun 2006, Christian Kujau wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Phil H wrote:
> >I'm not sure I follow (in discussions about deniability) why
> >a user cannot simply say they shredded that partition ....
>
> IANAL nor a crypto-expert, but I don't think "they" will engange some
> super-powers to bring evidence, that this 300GB disk is not full with
> "random" but with "encrypted data" and therefor it "must be full of
> mp3/pr0n/whatever". But as I write this I realize that in some countries
> it's might not be even important what you've enrypted but the mere fact
> *that* you've encrypted something could bring you in trouble.

"The" evils have much simpler ways to "crack" your security, a common
way (rumors) is, that

- "they" grab all your computer staff
- see its encrypted
- return the computer
- ... with an keylogger, small on the mainboard/keyboard/usb-bus/...
- then, come about 2 weeks/months later again

and of course there always is this moment .. when somebody tells you "now its
your choice, you may cooperate and get a small punishment, or you get all
and more if we're able to read your disk other ways"

--
Florian Reitmeir

-
Linux-crypto: cryptography in and on the Linux system
Archive: http://mail.nl.linux.org/linux-crypto/

Do you Yahoo!?