Re: Distinguishability of encrypted partition

On Die, 13 Jun 2006, Christian Kujau wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Phil H wrote:
> >I'm not sure I follow (in discussions about deniability) why
> >a user cannot simply say they shredded that partition ....
>
> IANAL nor a crypto-expert, but I don't think "they" will engange some
> super-powers to bring evidence, that this 300GB disk is not full with
> "random" but with "encrypted data" and therefor it "must be full of
> mp3/pr0n/whatever". But as I write this I realize that in some countries
> it's might not be even important what you've enrypted but the mere fact
> *that* you've encrypted something could bring you in trouble.

"The" evils have much simpler ways to "crack" your security, a common
way (rumors) is, that

- "they" grab all your computer staff
- see its encrypted
- return the computer
- ... with an keylogger, small on the mainboard/keyboard/usb-bus/...
- then, come about 2 weeks/months later again

and of course there always is this moment .. when somebody tells you "now its
your choice, you may cooperate and get a small punishment, or you get all
and more if we're able to read your disk other ways"

--
Florian Reitmeir

-