Distinguishability of encrypted partition

The recent threads on deniability etc lead me to ask:

Just how distinguishable from random data is a loop-aes encrypted partition?

I had assumed these were effectively indistinguishable.  Or does it boil down to a question of just how "random" is random?

I'm not sure I follow (in discussions about deniability) why a user cannot simply say they shredded that partition ....