Re: Re: Distinguishability of encrypted partition

Florian Reitmeir <fr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> Much more interessting would it be to work on support for PKCS#11 USB
> tokens
> to get rid of the user-password. Only a minority boot from an crypto disk,
> so a
> trojan or "other" software can easily sniff your password (with X11 this
> is
> really very simple).
>
> > So my initial assumption was probably correct - it's the extraneous
> factors (fstab,  having encryption software, etc) that probably remain the
> practical indicators.

Sorry, you seem to have missed last part of loop-aes readme, don´t you? I remember some notes on how to boot from a single USB Memory Stick. So indeed, there remains no "crypto" on the disk.
I am sorry that the instructions on how to remove unwanted partition table / boot sector are not included in the readme now. The main problem is, that there might remain clear data on a disk. I don´t think you can distingush between a "shred /dev/hda"-disc and an encrypted one I have dealt with.

Regards,
Peter

-