Re: Distinguishability of encrypted partition

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006, Phil H wrote:
> Thanks for the replies - only just saw them since my yahoo bulk folder is so full of junk.

> I suppose I was thinking of watermark-type attacks, showing there actually is a filesystem in that randomness (my understanding is that v3.x loop-aes should be immune to these?), or some type of mathematical investigation designed to show the partition has not been recently overwritten by shred or somesuch but has a suspicious form of "randomness" (if such an investigation exists that is).

i'cant help it, but i think the discussion about possible watermark attempts
on are disk useless.

Watermark attempts has to assume the cipher/modes you use...

Normally there is enough evidence on a PC/Laptop that there is Crypto..
somewhere is a kernel with initrd, and normally such a pc asks for a password
after boot.

Not to mention the rest of the computer hardware, like the SMART-disk log
which counts nicely how mant houres the drive was used, how many errors
happend, and maybe makes some read/write stats.

Much more interessting would it be to work on support for PKCS#11 USB tokens
to get rid of the user-password. Only a minority boot from an crypto disk, so a
trojan or "other" software can easily sniff your password (with X11 this is
really very simple).

--
Florian Reitmeir

-