Re: How about deniability? (read:http://www.zdnet.co.uk/print/?TYPE=story&AT=39269746-39020330t-10000025c)

On Sat, 20 May 2006, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
In a german magazine there was an article about disc duplication that was written by someone from the police.

Do you have the url/name of the magazine at hand?

They take out the HDD and make a backup of it and only operate on these backups, then the computer and the original HDD(s) is locked away.

So, at least they seem to make sure the original data is not touched. This is good news.

But I think it all boils down to: how can they convict with no evidence?
From the article:

 "and the suspect can say, 'No, they're love letters,
  sorry, I've lost the key'."

..."not guilty until proven otherwise"? I wonder if they'll hand out the original harddisk after examniation, because "it's just love letter" and "the defendant has lost the keys anyway, so it's not worth anything".
I hope they do (hand out the *original* disk).

And of course they won't admit that they were able to break AES/$SECURE_CIPHER for a lousy 100 GB of stolen mp3s. This in fact seems
worthy to play around with:

"How many GB of very-delicate-material does it take so that they admit they broke $SECURE_CIPHER?"

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #435:

Internet shut down due to maintenance