Re: Loop-AES and Twofish on 64-bit CPU

On Tue, 9 May 2006, Gisle Sælensminde wrote:
First I would like to mention that this is not likely to increase the security in any way.

Wy not?

The ciphers are well analyzed and have no known attacks. If there are
weak spots in the scheme it is likely to be in the loop-implementation itself,
since this is far less analyzed, and in that case an extra layer of encryption
-------------------------------------------^ "in that case" the cipher is a minor thing to worry. It's always important to get the implementation right, which is the tricky bit, yes.

is more likely to weaken security than to strengthen it.

...but multiple ciphers do NOT weaken security per se, otherwise it'd be a flaw in every algorithm. cf. http://ciphersbyritter.com/NEWS6/MULTSHAN.HTM

I just wanted to point this out, for the record only :)

Christian.
--
BOFH excuse #435:

Internet shut down due to maintenance