Re: Problems building from tarballs solved

> Correct way to prepare kernel sources + config for
> module building is to
> build a kernel without installing the kernel +
> modules. Something like this:

An aside (I don't know how correct it is): I see that
this guide
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x384.htm says
you can, if desired, CNTRL-C the kernel build after
the SPLIT line and it still results in the source
configured correctly for module building:

[root@pcsenonsrv linux-2.6.x]# make
CHK     include/linux/version.h
UPD     include/linux/version.h
SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-i386
SPLIT   include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
[cntrl-c]

Also on that page, the author seems (?) to
clarify/contradict his earlier statement about it
being desirable to force module loading when the
kernel version magic is mismatched.