Re: Problems building from tarballs solved

Phil H wrote:
> " ..insmod has a -f option that "forces" insmod to
> ignore the kernel version mismatch and insert the
> module anyway. Because it is so unusual for there to
> be a significant difference between any two kernel
> versions, I recommend you always use -f."

insmod -f is intended for binary only modules which end user can't recompile
for his kernel.

> If I am building the loop.o driver for some kernel
> (for which I have a working config file ("z")) other
> than the above running loopless kernel, I can download
> the sources and do:
>
> make distclean          # get rid of previous kernel
> compile junk
> mv z .config            # restore config
> make oldconfig
> make dep && make clean
> make bzImage && make modules
> cd /home/phil/loop-AES-v3.0d
> make LINUX_SOURCE=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.x.y
> KEYSCRUB=y

    make distclean
    cp YOUR_CONFIG_HERE .config
    make oldconfig
    make dep && make clean
    make bzImage && make modules

Always run "make distclean" before "make oldconfig". "make distclean"
removes .config file, so .config must be saved to some other file ("z") or
copied from elsewhere else.

> Should config file z also have CONFIG_MODULES=y
> and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n, or  is that irrelevant?

Configuration of kernel that you are compiling is irrelevant to your running
kernel.

> An aside (I don't know how correct it is): I see that
> this guide
> http://www.tldp.org/LDP/lkmpg/2.6/html/x384.htm says
> you can, if desired, CNTRL-C the kernel build after
> the SPLIT line and it still results in the source
> configured correctly for module building:
>
> [root@pcsenonsrv linux-2.6.x]# make
> CHK     include/linux/version.h
> UPD     include/linux/version.h
> SYMLINK include/asm -> include/asm-i386
> SPLIT   include/linux/autoconf.h -> include/config/*
> [cntrl-c]

Above may work. I recommend full recompile without CTRL-c tricks.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-