Re: Problems building from tarballs solved

--- Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> insmod -f is intended for binary only modules which
> end user can't recompile
> for his kernel.

Come to think of it, the author mentions in a
preceding chapter I think that his build discussion
only applies to modules distributed as part of linux.
Perhaps that's the same thing, but it's not as clear
as it might be.

> > Should config file z also have CONFIG_MODULES=y
> > and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n, or  is that irrelevant?
>
> Configuration of kernel that you are compiling is
> irrelevant to your running
> kernel.

That's what I thought but in truth I expected that I
had it wrong.  So you just need one (any) kernel
compiled with CONFIG_MODULES=y and
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n, and running that you can
compile loop.o drivers for some other kernel 2.x.y for
which you have the sources configured, however this
kernel 2.x.y for which you are building the loop.o
does NOT need to be configured with CONFIG_MODULES=y
and CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=n?

That is correct?