Re: Problems building from tarballs solved

Phil H wrote:
> Now reporting success in building loop-aes from sourceforge tarballs

Looks like I have to ruin your day...

> cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27; \
> make oldconfig ;\       # this part I knew
> make dep; \             # this part I DIDN'T know <---

But that "make oldconfig ; make dep" is not enough.

Correct way to prepare kernel sources + config for module building is to
build a kernel without installing the kernel + modules. Something like this:

    cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27

Open Makefile and set EXTRAVERSION=-2-386

    mv .config z            # save config
    make distclean          # get rid of previous kernel compile junk
    mv z .config            # restore config
    make oldconfig
    make dep && make clean
    make bzImage && make modules

Now you have kernel sources and all kernel compile time generated files
matching your kernel config in a way that can be used to compile more
modules.

    cd /home/phil/loop-AES-v3.0d
    make LINUX_SOURCE=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27 KEYSCRUB=y

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-