Problems building from tarballs solved

Now reporting success in building loop-aes from
sourceforge tarballs - my last post on this, only for
closure and for the benefit of future newbs.

All problems were solved by reading

It was a simple omission.

Though I had rebuilt my 2.4.27-2-386 kernel with loops
off as 2.4.27.noloops, I had subsequently deleted the
source trees, which meant all the necessary info was
gone.  I then had downloaded and unpacked the source
for the 2.4.27 kernel (official debian in my case).
(Sourceforge tarballs for loop-aes and
loop-aes-ciphers were already unpacked).

All I then needed to do was:

# Boot into my 2.4.27.noloops kernel

cp /boot/config-2.4.27-2-386 \
/usr/src/kernel /source-2.4.27/.config; \

cd /usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27; \
make oldconfig ;\ 	# this part I knew
make dep; \		# this part I DIDN'T know <---

# Then open makefile and set EXTRAVERSION=-2-386
# because module is being built for 2.4.27-2-386
# and not for 2.4.27.noloops

cd /home/phil/loop-AES-v3.0d ;\
# or whatever the sources directory is for loop-aes

make clean ;\
make LINUX_SOURCE=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27
KEYSCRUB=y ;\

# Then, to do tests, and to build loop-aes-ciphers:

# (I'd already built the patched utils.)

# Reboot into the original loop-enabled kernel
2.4.27-2-386

cd /home/phil/loop-AES-v3.0d;\
make tests ;\
--> ***test results OK***	# !

cd /home/phil/ciphers-v3.0b ;\
make clean ;\
make LINUX_SOURCE=/usr/src/kernel-source-2.4.27 ;\
make tests ;\
--> ***test results OK***	# !

How easy that was. (No m-a fakesource). No doubt this
is not surprising to the old hands.

(A minor complication was that, since I had already
built loop-aes and loop-aes-ciphers from the Sid
debian sources against the loop-enabled kernel, and
although these were in a different location, I needed
to delete those modules (and run depmod I think)
before compiling loop-aes-ciphers - or there were
errors).

If any of this is wrong, please advise.