Re: Somebody stop the junk mail!

On Fri, 2005-03-18 11:12:13 -0500, Hubert Chan <hubert@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <87oedhx7aa.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Well, I think that we all agree than we shouldn't close the list to
> non-subscribers if that means losing Jari.  (And some of us are opposed
> to that, even if it didn't mean losing Jari.)  On the other hand, a lot
> of us are sick of seeing all the spam on this list.  So what solutions
> are there?  A few that I can think of are:
[...]
> Any other suggestions?  Comments?

We're (lug-owl.de admind) running some (Mailman based) lists, at least
one with several hundred users. Basically, we use this scheme:

	- Automatically do some checks (eg. checking for viruses, ...)
	  and possibly throw away the email
	- Automatically accept mails from subscribers
	- Automatically accept mails from known-good non-subscribers
	- Put anything else on hold
	- Once a day (once each morning) I look through the backlog and
	  ACK real mails / drop SPAM. For known-good senders, I can here
	  switch it him/her to be a known-good sender (for being
	  automatically accepted in step 3)

Works well for us. Sometimes, other list admins look through the backlog
so that emails are probably delivered before the next morning...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx    . +49-172-7608481             _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  _ _ O