Re: File encryption and compression tool - Help

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 12:07:35PM +0530, Das, Arijit  (GE Healthcare) wrote:
> Hi there...I am looking for a simple tool which I can use to encrypt and
> compress a file and decompress and decrypt a file in Linux.
>
> I can use command line gpg and compress/gzip for it but my
> decryption/decompression requirement is that I need to read the
> encrypted/compressed file from a ROM and print its contents into console
> without creating any temporary files. Basically, I don;t have write
> permission to the system....i can only read from it and print into the
> console.

hm, someone hasn't read his documentation yet. ;-) Thought of piping?

Assume you have secretfile.txt. E.g.

(1) $ gzip secretfile.txt
(2) $ gpg -c secretfile.txt.gz

You get secretfile.txt.gz.gpg

On the other box use, e.g.

$ gpg --decrypt secretfile.txt.gz.gpg | gunzip | less

Or if you first encrypt and then compress (you first did (2) and then (1)):

$ gunzip -c secretfile.txt.gpg.gz | gpg --decrypt | less

> So, I need a kind of simple C/C++ API which I can use to (de/en)crypt and
> (un/)compress byte/char streams.

Uhhh, why so complicated? Just use The Power of Shell.

HTH,
 Mike

-