Re: journaling file system

Hi Stuart,

(1) Absolutely - journaling filesystems depend upon the maintenance of
the order of device write operations. Where this is not the case, file
system recovery based upon the journal has the potential to be very
dangerous.

(2) The "PS. Kernel 2.6" comment was made by Majek in his original
e-mail. The implications of ordered device writes vs journaling
filesystems apply across the board including 2.6. The potential problems
are inherent to the the very flexibility of a loop device - you can
potentially construct looped filesystems n-levels deep.

BTW, I cannot claim the arguments as "mine" or take credit :-) Happy to
accept the blame for all errors. Comments/clarifications welcome.

D.
--
Daniel Harvey <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

-