File encryption and compression tool - Help

Hi there...I am looking for a simple tool which I can use to encrypt and compress a file and decompress and decrypt a file in Linux.

I can use command line gpg and compress/gzip for it but my decryption/decompression requirement is that I need to read the encrypted/compressed file from a ROM and print its contents into console without creating any temporary files. Basically, I don;t have write permission to the system....i can only read from it and print into the console.

So, I need a kind of simple C/C++ API which I can use to (de/en)crypt and (un/)compress byte/char streams.

Can anybody share any of his experiances regarding this?

Thanks,
Arijit

-