Re: 177GB ext3 partition fscked (aes256)

Jari Ruusu <jariruusu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>ext3 file system may be more resistant to unclean shutdowns than ext2.
>
> For ATA disks, writeback cache can be turned off using
> "hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda" and "hdparm -I /dev/hda" queries status.

I used ext3 for the data partition mentioned and ext2 for root partition. As
far as I can see the problem occures because of data that is still in RAM
while the PC hangs up. In this way RAM and disk show a difference, files are
not propperly closed/written. Typing "sync" in the bash from time to time
reduces the amount of faults found by fsck after a lock up. So I added sync
to my /etc/fstab.
The above "hdparm -W 0" might solve the problem totally. Is this write cache
turn off permanent? If not, in which boot script can I add the command? I
suppose this change will reduce harddisk performance a little bit, right?
Then a short question to "fsck". With the -b option I can make use of a
backup inode to restore journal informations. Is that a good idea? As there
are plenty of these backup inodes which one should I use?
Mounting the encrypted partition as it is there is missing one folder
completely. Are there chances that fsck might restore it?
I´ll try soon and give a report on that.

Regards,
Peter

-