Re: 177GB ext3 partition fscked (aes256)

Peter_22@xxxxxx wrote:
> The above "hdparm -W 0" might solve the problem totally.

"hdparm -W 0 /dev/hda" solves only the case when power is lost unexpectedly.
If computer crashes, but hard disk still gets power from UPS or laptop
batteries, hard disk can complete queued writes successfully.

Enabled hard disk write cache is not necessarily the cause of your file
system corruption. When your box crashes, and openGL/X-server/kernel-drm
starts writing to kernel RAM locations they should not modify, then such
crash may well cause serious file system damage.

> Is this write cache turn off permanent?

Probably not.

> If not, in which boot script can I add the command?

On SUSE, maybe you can create new boot script:

/etc/init.d/boot.d/S01myhdparm.sh

> I suppose this change will reduce harddisk performance a little bit, right?

Write performance will suffer badly.

--
Jari Ruusu  1024R/3A220F51 5B 4B F9 BB D3 3F 52 E9  DB 1D EB E3 24 0E A9 DD

-